[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Another poll - but this is just for fun
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

What old tech do you still use?
A video tape recorder - any format 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
It is still in regular use 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Cassette recorder/player 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
It is still in regular use 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Reel-to-reel recorder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It is still in regular use 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Record player and discs 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
They are still in regular use 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
None of the Above - Anndra's request :) 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm 

How many of you still have "old technology" around the place. Do you still use any of it? VCRs, cassettes, reel-to-reel, long-obsolete computers? Even vinyl records (Les is excused from this one!) and something to play them on. In our place, the VCRs have all gone along with most of the tapes. Still got records, some dating back to 1960; some cassettes. One day (ha!) the more special, or rarer ones will be transferred to the Mac.

One day... :roll:

My brother has an old CRT TV which I asked him about and was told it was the only one that will work with his computer.

Last edited by Highmac on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:15 pm 

Only got a Video recorder i use for transferring old Video tapes to my iMac.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm 

LP's are a must if only to annoy the kids by not being able to skip tracks :D

I do have a super 8 film camera which I 'intend' to make further animations with :(

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Last edited by Mike Smith on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm 

I gave away my VHS and DVD recorders only just a few months ago but they were not in use and someone wanted to try and copy a tape to disc. I have no idea if they managed. I had a VHS camera back in the day and digitised those tapes years ago.

I bought a replacement turntable just recently because the old one was starting to have hiccups. I play it through a Sonos Connect, grouped with a Playbar and Sub (and two Play:1 as surround), so it sounds good. I really need to clean my LPs.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:37 pm 

I have all except the reel to reel. They are used very occasionally. The record deck and cassette deck to transfer vinyl to Mac, and the VCR to play Disney's Fantasia for my grand daughter.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:00 pm 

I did have a Tandberg RtoR tape deck. I did sound to sound recording for fun (overdubbing). I sold it a while ago because it was slipping, didn't know what to do to fix it and I didn't really have room for it. The chap who bought it serviced it and had it working for internal elbow grease. Curses.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 pm 

I have a music centre with turntable and CD player along with all my vinyl but they reside in the loft.
I took out the blu-ray player in January as the PS4 covers that but I've never played a disk in it.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 pm 

None of the above - so the poll won't let me vote. I know democracy has had a poor image recently but I think this is going a bit far!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:10 pm 

(Almost) none of the above but I had them all, at one stage or other.

I still have a turntable but no more LPs, 45s or 78s. I sold the more interesting ones on eBay individually and the rest as a job lot about 15 years ago.

I still have some reel to reel tapes I think. But the deck has gone.

Cassettes. Hmmm. Perhaps there are a few still kicking about and I still have the means to play them, yes.

VHS recorder went a long time ago.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 pm 

Have all but reel to reel. Can't remember last time they were used.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

I seem to remember my grandfather telling me about this stuff! <insert innocent look here>

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:48 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:50 am 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:08 am 

Democracy is saved!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:47 am 

Board index » Couch