[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iOS Tips and Tricks
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iOS Tips and Tricks
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:34 pm 

Is there a thread similar to the "Useful Tips and Tricks" thread just for the iPhone?
I didn't see one, but it might be hidden.

We just got our first - 6s - and I'm scouring the web for info - like "what to do first" "what to disable" "how to save battery" "backup techniques" etcetc.

Any of you want to share what you wish you did early on in your phone life?
Things you did that you thing are essential to your phone's health and happiness?
Any tips that I'm not going to find among the likely suspects on the interwho?

Thanks!

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:23 am 

"Is there a thread similar to the "Useful Tips and Tricks" thread just for the iPhone?"
No. And there are no hidden threads.

Go to Apple's support site and download the user's manual. That's what I recently did upon getting a phone. In effect, there are tons of "tips and tricks" there.

You can go to http://www.oreilly.com
There are books there that can be browsed - in a limited/restricted way. Or - with subterfuge - without restriction.

And there are a wealth of books on the subject - including the "Dummies" series.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 am 

If you have an iPhone with 3D touch, when you swipe up to use Control Centre, use 3D touch on the icons on the bottom row for extra options.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:36 am 

In Notification Centre, use 3D Touch on the 'X' and you will get an option appear to clear all notifications.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 am 

When viewing photos in the Photos app, you can use 3D Touch to quickly view a photo without actually opening it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:40 am 

Go to Settings ▸ General ▸ Keyboard ▸ Text Replacement to add shortcuts for words or phrases which you commonly use.

You can also do this is OS X - System Preferences ▸ Keyboard ▸ Text.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:58 pm 

Thank you both!
I already downloaded the manual and have actually been reading the thing!
Yes I do have 3D touch on the 6s. Thanks for those tips.
I'm slowly learning - it'll take time.
If you think of anything else I wouldn't otherwise learn, do please continue to share here.

Thanks again,

PS - Here in the US phone numbers are recycled. I've already received my first message from the health care system of the US gov, directed to the previous owner. I quickly learned how to deal with that!

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:17 am 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 pm 

The Missing Manual series is certainly numero uno. I, for one, wouldn't purchase a 650-page book for a phone. But, hey...different folks for different strokes.

The user's manual will get you very far.

Any book, for which you see this:

can be read in small bits/installments.

If you cover your tracks:
clear cookies, history, cache - in short: Web data,
you should be able to re-visit the book more than the publisher intended.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:54 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 am 

- by David Pogue.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm 

Mrs H, why don't you just rename this thread!

Change it from Is there an iPhone thread with "Useful Tips and Tricks" ?

to

iPhone "Useful Tips and Tricks"

:D :) ;)

To change the title of a thread that you have initiated, edit your first post - change the Subject: new title

:tu:

It might even get Sticky status.

Post subject: Re: iOS Tips and Tricks
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 pm 

I have changed the the thread title to "iOS Tips and Tricks" rather than iPhone as iOS encompasses both iPhone and iPad.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 pm 

Use 3D Touch on an unread email to preview the message content without actually opening it and marking it as 'read'.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 am 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead