[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - App updates/updating
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: App updates/updating
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 am 

I'm fairly new to the "iOS world", so I'm not sure where the source of this issue lies. With me, with Apple,…

Usually, once a day, I open iTunes, show my apps, and then click on Updates. Most days, there is one or more to be updated. And I do just that.

I have just, however, discovered the iOS app App Store. I never knew I had it; I had tucked it away in a created-folder of Apple apps that I assumed I would not be using/needing. So, of course I've never used it. That means I also never purchased anything through it directly. I have purchased all my iOS apps from the iTunes App Store interface on my computer.

In the moment, that computer interface shows all my apps are up to date. But when I launch the iOS app Apple Store, I get a whole slew of apps, for which updates are available. I have updated them on my iOS device. But when I go and get info about the apps – within iTunes – I see that the apps are not up-to-date. But iTunes still tells me that all apps are up to date.

I actually did this yesterday for the first time, and just now for the second time - in order to determine if a bit of time was needed to sort this out. So I can see that the situation is not a momentary one. iTunes continues to tell me that my apps are to date – when, clearly, they are not. I have later versions on my device.

What am I missing? What is Apple missing?
Does this issue exist because I am getting updates now in a different way than previously? If so, it still doesn't feel like it's my fault – but Apple’s. True? Is this a fault of Apple's software – or is this issue of my own making?

By the way, everything said above applies to both my iPhone and my iPad – therefore my use of the term iOS above.

Post subject: Re: App updates/updating
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 pm 

It's not just you, Apple broke iTunes app syncing somewhere around about iTunes 10 or 11. Previous to that, if you updated apps on your iOS device the next time you synced to iTunes, they would copy across automatically, replacing the ones in your iTunes library. Apple broke that so it only now works in one direction - purchase new apps on iTunes and they copy across to the iOS device, but oddly it doesn't work the opposite way round, meaning that you end up downloading app updates twice to get them all in sync.

Madness? Yes!! Deliberate? Only Apple could tell you that!

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 pm 

"It's not just you..."
Best news I've had all decade.

Thanks, Steve.
So I'll be updating my apps via the iOS app.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:20 pm 

Actually, Steve, now that I re-read your response, I realize – while it is very helpful and added to my understanding – it didn't actually answer my question/issue.

I was asking why iTunes does not correctly identify apps, for which updates exist.
Of course, "why" questions often don't have an answer – but it was this aspect of the issue that I was asking about: the iOS app finding updates, and iTunes not.
And I assume that the fault lies with Apple. All that I'm asking of iTunes is to notify me of updates to my apps - which it ain't doin' accurately.

The two-way synching - or lack thereof - is actually a separate issue; one which I had not directly addressed or thought about.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:39 pm 

And now I realize yet another aspect of this issue of updating apps.

When I did the updating via the iOS app, updates to Apple's Pages, Numbers, etc. were shown. This seems to be something in which iTunes doesn't get involved - which I never realized.
I guess that iTunes only deals with apps that have been purchased.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:50 pm 

Pages/Numbers/Keynote are part of iOS rather than an app (though it seems you can delete them) so I'd guess they get ignored.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:44 pm 

Just discovered:

Steve (and others):
Have I just discovered "the missing link"?
Do I read this correctly - that this is what is needed to "sync the other way"? Or do I misinterpret this iPhone screenshot?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:12 pm 

That won't make any difference, just means you can sync without physically connecting phone and computer with usb cable.
Phone needs to be on charge for wifi sync to work.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:00 am 

Probably not this, but elsewhere you said you had two Apple IDs. Are you using just one across all your devices now? Logging in with different ones on a Mac or iOS gadget would likely show different things in iTunes/App Store.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:36 am 

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 am 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:12 am 

I've not used macOS iTunes to update apps (does it do that?), just to update iOS. Updates on my iThings come via App Store on each item but iTunes will take the update off in a backup and trash the old version. App Store is rubbish at notifying me about updates, even though I have them set to show, so I have to go hunting.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:22 am 

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm 

"...elsewhere you said you had two Apple IDs. Are you using just one across all your devices now?"
Yes, just one. I'm consistent regarding this aspect.

"I've not used macOS iTunes to update apps (does it do that?)"
Yes. As I've said, that's what I do.
App Store has never contacted me about anything! - as far as I know.

"iTunes will copy any new or updated apps from my iPhone to its library - I'm using 12.6.2.20."
Same iTunes version here. Not doing it for me.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:55 pm 

Some people use iPhone and iPad and NEVER sync it to iTunes and indeed NEVER use iTunes. My wife is a perfect example of this. She doesn't have a computer to be able to use iTunes on.

Therefore I think Apple has to treat all devices as separate libraries and as such each device/library needs to separately update itself.

You can of course, set iPhone and iPad to automatically update installed apps so you never have to check for updates. Go to Settings ▸ iTunes and App Stores ▸ Updates and tap the switch to 'on'. Personally I don't use this feature as there have been lots of instances where updated apps have a major bug in them and caused problems. But it's your iPhone and your decision.

As for iTunes notifications about apps needing updating. I never see any. The only time I know apps need an update is when I click on the 'Updates' tab and iTunes checks.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS