Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iOS 11 Beta
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:48 pm 

Has anyone got the beta yet? I'm undecided. On one hand, it looks good and I'm easily tempted by shiny things. On the other hand, I don't want to muck up my iPad or potentially have glitches. On another hand (I could have three, you don't know), I could just wait three months for the release version.

I thought I'd see what others thought and did.

Post subject: Re: iOS 11 Beta
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:19 pm 

Not for me. My iPhone is also a business tool so can't take a chance with an unstable OS.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 pm 

Using a beta OS?
Not on my watch - er, phone/iPad.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 pm 

I remember running the iOS 10 beta last year and remember the spell checker being extremely dodgy. Somehow that managed to carry over even into the latest version of iOS 10... Otherwise, it was pretty good for everyday usage on my phone. It was actually a friend of mine IRL that convinced me to check out iOS 10's beta at the time.

Public betas released to normal users are probably a lot more 'safe' in terms of reliability than running an Apple Developer Preview (or whatever it's called), that would just be asking for major issues and problems...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:09 pm 

As I don't use my iPad for much more than Calendar and the free Library e-Magazine reading (awful new app, by the way, compared to Zinio who got the boot), I just put iOS 11 beta 4 on. So far I like it, not that I've had more than a ten minute play around. Things are different so will take getting used to. I'm not a fan of change but I think I'm going to like this. I'll leave the iPhone for now. High Sierra? Maybe next month on my mini to test before I go mad with my main device.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 pm 

Drat. The e-Magazine app does not work, with download errors. RBDigital. One to report.

--edit-- I nearly had the feedback completed and decided to check once more. Blimmin' app worked :D Glad I checked.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 am 

Just as I had another bug to report, along came beta 5. Best I try that first.

I'm liking what I have seen in 11 so far.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm 

There are a few things I like over iOS 10 on the iPad. The dock is better and more useful with recent apps tagged on. The screen keyboard with pull-down characters. Most aspects of the App Store - I'll get used to the other changes soon enough. Doing split screen is way easier to attain and manage (I never bothered before). That is just for starters. The smaller screen of the iPhone may be a different thing, keyboard and dock-wise.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 am 

Not that you guys care much, but beta 9 arrived. It can't be far off ready what with the Event in five days time (I'll be watching). I've had no real problems with 11, but then I'm not an iPad power business type user.

Obviously, I will need a new iPhone to go along with it wink wink. I fear prices of the next models will be eye-watering, especially the 8 or Edition or whatever that is actually called.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 am 

"Not that you guys care much..."
Hey, monologue is a powerful device on the stage.
You've made it, big time. :P :D

Actually, I appreciate your doing all the heavy-lifting. Quite relaxing, here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:50 am 

:) Nah I wasn't meaning thread participation rates as people and bots were reading it, I meant that nobody else took part in the beta. Plain English not quite achieved. It is stable enough now (well, as I said, for me) so jump in if the device isn't your main critical machine.

I did look through my list of "previously purchased" apps and see that a number are now no longer available for download. The ones that didn't get updated by the developers and that will no longer work. Not really anything I will miss.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 am 

My iOS devices are not used for any critical/business application – yet I still have no attraction to beta versions of operating systems.

As I've been opening some of my iOS apps, I see the notification that they will no longer work under version 11. And again, because of the "recreational" use to which I put these devices, the let-go will be easy. :cry: :cry:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 am 

I went in after the beta had been going for a while to get a more stable product. I wouldn't risk my iPhone or MBP on a beta so soon.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:12 pm 

Another iPad update just appeared, but this is called iOS 11 - not beta or RC anything. It could be. It's all good so far.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 am 

This morning I had an email from Apple thanking people for participating. It also said (copy/paste) "The iOS 11, tvOS 11, and macOS High Sierra GM candidates are now available for you to install. Please send us any feedback you might have" but there is nothing new to d/l. I suppose I already have it. The main show is only a few days away so no big deal, but I'll check again this evening. What I have works very well already.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS