[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iOS 11 / WatchOS and TVOS are available.
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm 

Started with my iPhone. Onwards and upwards...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:56 pm 

There's a few settings Apple sets up for new features and changes some it thinks should be "on" so I went through all settings putting them as I wish.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 pm 

I downloaded my iphone , i pad and ATV updates in record time but the apple watch update seems to be stuck at about 1 hour remaining ( nothing new then )

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm 

All done here except the Watch. It takes so long to update, even after the download period.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 pm 

I see that you don't get the neat pull down default keyboard on the iPhone that the iPad got. Must be down to screen size.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm 

There seems to be more sharpness about this update. I like the neat sharp new changes. Not had enough time to see how good the watch update is but the passcode screen has bigger numbers, so thats an advantage. I'd really like to see the ability to ad our own watch faces.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm 

Just uploaded a picture and made it my watch screen.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 pm 

All have gone well here, on both iPhones and my Watch.

I have however noticed that battery life has taken a noticeable hit on the Watch. I run 3 or 4 times a week, usually around 35-ish minutes. The night before a run I always charge my watch so its 100% when I put it on. Ordinarily, after that amount of time with workout app tracking me, the battery depletes by about 2-3%. At the end of the day, I can easily go to bed without having to charge it for the following day. Today, the battery had depleted by 9%, and now it's time for bed and the battery is at 42%.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I haven't really done a great deal on my phone today either-but i'm on low power mode and at 11%. Thats quite low too. Wether the Watch is putting more strain on the phone, or iOS 11 is working the phone that much harder I don't know.

I like some of the changes in iOS11 though. Hate what they've done to weather, it's too bunched up and the type is bold (I like a light typeface), but really like the control centre and option to customise it, and the nod to the retro with their new wallpapers using the original Apple colours. Watch OS i haven't explored too much, but the flashlight/screen thingy is handy (I get up to run at about 5am so not having to turn lights on is a bonus!), and the additions to the Heart monitor (recovery rate, resting rate etc) is really useful.

Not a bad iOS at all, but def. room for improvement. What I really want to see in TVOS now is the ability to 'Play all'-loads of the TV programmes we have for my little girl are about 5-6 minutes long, but when one finishes, it doesn't move to the next automatically which is a real pain at times (I don't just dump my daughter in front of the TV, but it is a necessary distraction when I need to wash up or get tea on!).

Everything feels like it's nearly there. I'll be steering clear of High Sierra though until they get the whole Fusion Drive compatibility thing sorted out.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 am 

I did not know, until this morning, that under iOS 11, when you turn Bluetooth or wifi off through the control panel, you don't actually turn the radios off. You have to do it through Settings. Not a problem with my iPhone as I need it on wifi for data/etc. and Bluetooth for the Watch, but I rarely use BT from my iPad, so don't need that and any associated battery drain, be it trivial or not.

Source:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 am 

Does anyone know or can give advice if upgrading to iOS11 will slow down the devices?

I have an iPhone 6S, iPad Mini 2 and Apple Watch Series 1 and wary that if I update to latest iOS, they will slow down. This happened with original iPad2 (can't remember which iOS) and it was the worst decision made....

Can see from various websites that all of my devices are compatible. But it's more of a question of "is it worth the risk"?

1x 32GB Black Wifi iPad Mini 2
2 x 1GB Shuffle 2G
1 x 80GB iPod Classic
2 x 32Gb iPhone 5

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 am 

My iPhone 6 is just fine, as is the Watch 2, TV and iPad with all the latest OSs. Not that it is any guarantee for yours, of course.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 am 

6s Plus and original Watch updated to iOS11 and watchOS 4 without any ill effects yet but it's less than 24 hours so cannot comment on battery life.

iPad 2 may suffer a little - but that is only an opinion and not a fact.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:01 pm 

The new App Store has been fine until today on my iPad, but it is failing at everything, despite reboots and the usual tricks. It is like it can't connect and yes, wifi is on. It is fine on my iPhone.

But.... what I finally decided to try was turn Bluetooth on. It was off, as per my post a few above. Immediately App Store worked. Sounds a bit screwy to me but that's how it is. Seems wrong enforcing BT, unless it is s bug.

--edit-- No, that just worked for a couple of minutes. Now it is failing to load again. Sigh.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

iPhone 6 Plus and original Watch are fine on the new software for me too.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS