[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - High Sierra 10.13
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post subject: High Sierra 10.13
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:25 pm 

I'm downloading it now. It will probably be slow, being new and shiny to the world and just over 5GB. I'll post when it is installed, or otherwise.

Post subject: Re: High Sierra 10.13
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:36 pm 

D/L was terminated about a third of the way through (not by me). Likewise on the second attempt. Tomorrow will have to do.

—edit— I lied. I tried again. Installing now. It takes a while, but then I guess it is doing the APFS thing.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 pm 

Yes, here I am, APFS and all. Superficially no different, but I bet there's fun to be had when I go through the system apps and so on. Except now I see out of the corner of my eye that it rearranged Maps my Dock icons.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 am 

I did the mini this morning. All done. No APFS for that and it's spinning disk so a lot quicker updating.

The first TM backups are taking ages (unsurprisingly) but they'll get there.

It seems that there is still a vulnerability from before (not new to HS):

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am 

I think I may give High Sierra a miss. I am not sure that Adobe CS6 will work with it especially if the new file system is implemented - if that actually makes a difference to CS6.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:09 pm 

Hi guys and gals, downloaded HS but NOT installed it yet. Reason is Drive Genius is not compatible yet. I'm on version 5.0.5 (the latest) which if I understand has code in to make it incompatible to install with HS. As soon as it is I will install HS. So what would be good is if anyone comes across any software (like Jonah who relies on Adobe CS6) that is incompatible BEFORE we press the install button please tell us. If I understand right because of the new file system once HS is intalled going back to Sierra won't work so you won't be able to access your files there. If I'm wrong (and I usually am) please let us know. The last thing we want going to HS is our favourite must have app ending up in the incompatible file. Pre warned is pre armed etc.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm 

As far as I have seen, you will only get APFS with a solid state drive, not Fusion or spinning types. That, therefore, may or may not be a concern. I only use a very few few apps so no help there.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:20 pm 

Jeffus, that's where a bootable clone comes in. If the upgrade is no good for what ever reason, just wipe the drive and copy the clone back to it.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 pm 

Hi Paw, yes understood. BUT what if you have files originated in HS. THEN you can't access them in the bootable clone? Which was my point albeit badly presented. I would like to know of apps that DON'T work BEFORE I switch. My drive is SSD.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm 

Jeffus, sorry I missed (or miss interpreted) that part of your question.

iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm 

The part of the question is if you have already gone to HS and done some work in it you can't go back to Sierra to get your files from the bootable clone 'cause of the new file configuration. I won't work, I think???????. Sierra and High Sierra's file system is not compatible. Tell me I'm wrong.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:53 pm 

You're probably right, Sierra probably won't be able to read High Sierra files but I would imagine that you could successfully export files from HS to Sierra because HS still uses HFS+ file system on anything other than SSD's

iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:19 pm 

Jumping in here not knowing anything about the topic really, but surely you can always save files from High Sierra to an HFS+ disk, can you not? And if you can't, then at least you could always connect via network to an HFS+ disk surely? I haven't read about it but I'm pretty sure that you could connect to a network attached storage, I would have thought. It surely isn't impossible to save your files to somewhere accessible! I mean you could just share them via Dropbox for heaven's sake! Or over the local network to your other computer.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm 

I've upgraded to High Sierra. The main bug I've found is that you cannot trash email messages. When you try to click on the trash can icon in mail, you get a script saying that the message cannot be moved to the trash. The only way around it I've found so far is to quit mail, then re-open mail and mark all unwanted messages as read, then trash them, That seems to work. A bit of a nuisance, and there's probably a better way to do it, but if anyone's having problems deleting messages, this is one way to do it.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm 

Trashes ok here.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Board index » General