[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iOS Tips and Tricks
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: iOS Tips and Tricks
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:22 pm 

I also found this description on the emergency call option which may work just fine to make the call even without cell connectivity (and without a sim card, even). But you still need to know the country emergency numbers - which I always do! ;)

https://www.howtogeek.com/259591/how-to ... an-iphone/
This site says: "Note that as a security measure, you can use this keypad only for emergency calls. If you try to call other numbers, it won’t work and the text at the top will change to read “Emergency calls only.”"
I read elsewhere that back in 2008 this measure allowed you [or some malfeasor who has stolen your locked phone] to call anyone - but I'm guessing that that has changed. Of course, lost phone - findmyphone and then contact service provider to cancel plan to save charges if that malfeasor wants to take you for all you are worth.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am 

One feature of iOS 10.3 that I only became aware of today is the new user summary-thing at the top of Settings. I found it a useful one stop to check account settings see info of my devices. I hadn't spotted that the update had turned on iCloud Drive and the awful Game Center (or Centre as it should be ;) ). A worthwhile addition, which I'm sure you lot will already know about.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:44 pm 

I had to translate something online from Japanese that wouldn't copy to allow me to put it into Google translate.

So, I took the phone, opened Google Translate, used the camera trick and clicked a photo of the words, and got an immediate translation. Quick and easy.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:22 pm 

After reading Julian's wife's tale of woe about her beloved recipe files,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6357
I decided to see if any of my apps were 32-bit before upgrading to iOS 11.

This looks like it might help:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/ ... ng-ios-103

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Your iOS device will tell you which of your apps are not suitable for iOS 11. Go to Settings>About>Applications. This will show you which need updating (might take a moment to load).

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:20 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:17 pm 

If you go through that menu selection and the line with Applications on has no > symbol on the right then all your apps are going to be OK in iOS 11. If there is a > then you tap and go through to see what will fail. It sounds like your apps are all OK.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:38 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:41 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:12 pm 

Nobody here has complained about iOS 11.1 and not being able to type the lower case letter "i", but I just saw that there is potentially a keyboard bug. Below is a link with the "fix" until Apple make a formal release. Not needed for me. You may hear someone complain and now you will be able to help.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:25 pm 

i
Just typed the above lowercase i on my iPad runnng iOS 11.1 - seems to work fine. Although I upgraded to 11.1 from 10.3.3 if that makes a difference.

What I can’t work out is how to type the characters at the top of each key. Any tips?

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 pm 

Swipe down on the key to produce the character.

Works on iPad only.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm 

That is one of the best new features of 11.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS