[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Catholics & Protestants
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Catholics & Protestants
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:55 pm 

I just finished reading Ken Follett's new book "A Column of Fire". I like what he writes. I didn't know that in the 1500's there was so much religious wars between the Protestants & Catholics. I mean that they just tied people to the stakes and burned them alive.

It also talked about Mary Queen of Scots. There is a lot of history in England going back centuries. Of course his books are Fiction but I think that he throws a lot of history in the books also. It also mention's Guy Fawkes name. I think Guy Fawkes day is November 5.

BTW I understand that people are getting used to our Football games over in your country. I have read that our teams even have fans.

Also, hello to all my friends across the pond.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:09 pm 

Hi cbbob ...

This should bring you up to speed on Guy Fawkes :

Hopefully you can get it in the U.S on bbc America

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... -gunpowder

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:18 am 

Religion is the root of a lot of evil in the world but it also gives a lot of people hope and meaning.

I was raised a Catholic but the only time I visit is church now is for hatch, match or despatch.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 pm 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 pm 

It's not the root of all evil. But a lot of evil has been done by many people of different faiths in the name of God or their religion.

This is a failure of the human psyche when dealing with matters that are very important to them and losing track of a sense of proportion and reality.

Personally I'm an atheist, my folks told me they were humanist. We were never churchgoers. For a while I was agnostic but although I like to keep an open mind and hedge my bets, I'm pretty much atheist.

These days I'm working as a research interviewer, mostly for company called Kantar. The major survey that I do for them is the National Crime Survey for England and Wales for the Office for National Statistics with randomly selected households and adults. As a result of this I meet a wide and diverse range of people and talk to them - principally to do the survey, but I also like to engage in a conversation if they are of like mind and it's great on a few occasions to have interesting conversations. I get to see everybody's opinions about certain things. Including their opinions of the Police and the criminal justice system in general and how it is perceived in this country, by a vast range of different types of people.

One of the questions near the end is asking them what their religion is. It could be a None, Christian, Islam, Buddhist, Hindu, et cetera. 90% of people that I talk to in England and Wales under the age of 60 or so, say have no religion. Or at least, not practising.

For people under the age of 35 I would put that up to about 96%. That's just my impression.

http://www.ons.gov.uk

http://www.crimesurvey.co.uk

Last edited by Leewave on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:06 pm 

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:31 pm 

Tell that to the NRA!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:34 am 

oh the poor boys

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 am 

I used to work for the (true fact) :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 pm 

How about having American Football in your country? I hear that it's a growing sport there and people seem to enjoy it.

I find myself watching more soccer (Football) as I find it interesting. I'm starting to understand a little better.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 am 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:14 am 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am 

Sorry, it seems I introduced the word "all" when it was not said. But it appears that a lot of us are in agreement that Faith has provoked extreme actions among human beings for a long time. That is something which we should guard against if at all possible.

There is a long way to go unfortunately.

Faith and politics, two topics which perhaps are the hardest to debate.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:31 pm 

I reckon if we could add up the numbers, faith would come a poor second in any slaughtering competition with the other lot.

Pol Pot, Mao and of course Stalin, to say nothing of the Tsars who preceded him. When a goodly number from Europe decided to take over America, I doubt if it was their faith that left the indigenous people considerably fewer in number. Nor when the UK decided to take over huge parts of the globe, it would be debatable whether it was their faith that drove them, or Queen and country. Then there was that Argentinian guy who pushed people out of planes and no doubt, top of the league, was Hitler. Going back a few years there was Genghis, Alexander, Persians etc., etc.

A sad part of the human condition, I feel.

I hope you can tell it's a miserable afternoon!

IMac 21.5 May 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHx DDR3 Sierra 10.12.6, Snow Lepard 10.6.8.
iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:48 pm 

Us & them, it's what the fighting's all about.
~DSOM

om

Board index » Couch