[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Automatic Downloads
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Automatic Downloads
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 pm 

Is there a way to stop Mrs B's iPhone 5 from automatically downloading iOS updates? There's barely enough room for it, and we don't want the update anyway.

I don't get them on mine and I can't see any difference in the settings.

Post subject: Re: Automatic Downloads
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:26 pm 

Top of returned internet search results:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 am 

I was told that software updates are automatically downloaded when the device in plugged into power/mains & connected to wifi overnight. I was able to keep my iPad mini free of the update until just the other day. I do plug it in to charge but never overnight & yet the iOS 11.0.3 update was downloaded.

I specifically didn't want to update this iPad because there was one game I like to play that is not 64-bit. I have no idea how to delete a downloaded update so I went ahead & updated. I haven't played that game for quite awhile.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:50 am 

Hi Peggy - Loughor's link above your post includes all sorts of info about download irritations, including "How to delete the downloaded update" :)

Edit to add: From your post, it seems that although 11 has downloaded, you haven't allowed it to be installed, in which case that link should help you. However, other reports indicate that if it has been *installed* it's virtually impossible to go back without serious risk to your device. I downloaded iOS 11 before reading the various warnings, so mine has still not been installed. Like you, I don't charge the iPhone overnight.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:17 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 am 

That article says that turning off 'Automatic Updates' will stop the iOS update from downloading. In my experience this is NOT true. I have never had that option switched on and iPhone and iPad both download the iOS update to the device whether you want it to or not.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS