[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Compact camera guidance (please)
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 am 

My son wants a compact camera for Christmas. I know nothing about cameras so am hoping some of you experienced users can guide me in my quest.

He wants;
Mainly to take video - HD is a minimum. I don’t know whether 4k is necessary.
A screen that is adjustable
Image stabilisation
Night or low light ability
A mic input if possible.
Is Wi-Fi useful on a camera? NFC?
Some ability to zoom but I don’t think he’s too concerned about changing lenses.
My budget + grandparents contribution (& with his contribution as well) is £350. Is that enough? Too much?

Suggestions/pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 pm 

I would ask him to choose one - He'll have some idea of what he needs and a chance to test it in a camera store.

Then he won't be disappointed.

Unless he really does think Father Christmas is real.

:)

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:17 pm 

I have a Nikon D7000 with 18-250mm lens for sale which shoots HD video. It’s in perfect condition.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:33 pm 

Could be. Can you PM me and tell me more (and the price). I’ll look the specs up on the web.

Thanks.

Apple TV4
AirPods

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:04 pm 

Well, I hope this works out.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that lovely Nikon doesn't have an adjustable screen.

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm 

It didn’t work out, though it’s a great camera at a very good price.

I visited John Lewis yesterday and they recommended a Canon EOS M10 Compact System Camera with EF-M 15-45mm lens. They are also doing a trade in so I’m taking in my venerable Olympus OM10 tomorrow to offset against the price. It doesn’t have microphone input but I’m told Zoom microphones are good and can be used for post production lip sync. (I’m pretending I know what that is).

Apple TV4
AirPods

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 pm 

It sounds like you (he) wants a digital camcorder rather than a compact stills camera, no where in your list of requirements do you mention taking photos. Maybe I’ve read it wrong, but sounds like video is more important than the photos?

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 am 

You are right in that the priority is to take video. Bloggers (and I know a few that have thousands of followers) say they use a camera to film their vloggs rather than a camcorder. They also use the camera for outside filming. The reasons they give are better lenses, the ability to change lenses, the size of the camera (compact) and full HD or 4K capability. I explained this need to the JL expert and they also commented that the way to go is a camera for all the same reasons. This is counter intuitive to me but I’m happy to take advice. I’ve compared video taken on a £200 camcorder versus a camera at £300 and it is sharper, or seems to be anyway. With a trade in and cash back I can get close to £230 for the Canon.

[Edit; went to Solihull this morning and JL have sold out of the Canon - thwarted]

Apple TV4
AirPods

Board index » Couch