[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Speedtest won't download
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post subject: Speedtest won't download
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 am 

I have tried to download the "Speedtest by Ookla" app from the App Store to my phone but it doesn't download. It just presents a rotating circle.
Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Lorimer

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:11 pm 

Cancel the download, reboot your iPhone and try again is the first thing to try.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm 

Aah Jonah, You were completely right on this occasion (see your signature). That did the trick perfectly.

Since Virgin offered me a free upgrade from 80mbs to 100mbs a week ago, I've had an abysmal connection ranging from 5mbs upload to 30. Serve me right for going for a freebie! A long phone call to someone in India has (I think!) sorted it. It's hovering around 95ish now, so providing that continues – no more complaints! (4g connection via my phone has been invaluable!).

Lorimer

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm 

Any broadband upgrade usually requires a few days for it to settle down to the speed you are supposed to get. From my experience with Virgin, sometimes they forget to 'flick the switch' to allow you the speed you are required.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm 

Oh and how did you get a free speed upgrade?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm 

Yes – 6.4mbs up, 106.4 down. I can live with that (as long as it stays)!

Lorimer

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 am 

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 am 

VM cable BB has always been stingy with upload speed. Here's a link to what they currently provide:

I don't know why, but Safari might have problems opening that because of "too many redirects"... but then it will.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 am 

AAh, Loughor, you've noticed (or maybe not, my 'typo').

I meant to say that my "Download" speed varied between 5mbs and 30mbs. Oddly enough, upload has always hovered around the 5mbs.

Yesterday evening I had to resort to 4g again, and today I see I have 50mbs and still, 6mbs upload. Another chat with a man in India is due...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:34 am 

It did look suspicious but I wouldn't jump in pointing and laughing. Even BT and those who use the BT network give out higher upload speeds through the 'phone line, but they can't yet match VM's down speeds.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:17 pm 

I'm sure there are discrepancies. I mostly get just over the official speeds when I test using Speedtest (to non-VM servers), Which? and speed.io. Speak as you find. Maybe the subnet I'm on isn't under such demand.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) or FTTH (fibre to the home) offers much better upload.
I opt for 40 down, with 10 up. For more loot every month, I could have 80 down, 20 up.

Virgin upload speeds THP (take the p***) ;-)

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 pm 

Right now...

BT FTTC - I'm happy with that :)

:off: BT have just offered me free 1000GB of cloud storage... :shock:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:57 pm 

Board index » General