[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Apple slow "older" iPhones
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 pm 

Probably you have seen this as a "shock horror" news item, but if you feel your 6, 6s or SE is slower than usual, it probably is.

From

Quote:
Apple has confirmed the suspicions of many iPhone owners by revealing it does deliberately slow down some models of the iPhone as they age.
Many customers have long suspected that Apple slows down older iPhones to encourage people to upgrade.
The company has now said it does slow down some models as they age, but only because the phones' battery performance diminishes over time.
Apple said it wanted to "prolong the life" of customers' devices.

Also

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:12 pm 

I’ve always thought that Apple send out a “self destruct” signal to two year old iPhones.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:03 pm 

My concern is that this will hide problems with batteries, such as the battery problem Apple acknowledged with the 6S range and the problem they haven't acknowledged with the 6 range!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:14 pm 

regarding this topic.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:22 pm 

Well it seems they're not deliberately throttling performance to force you to upgrade. And it also looks like it only applies to iPhone 6 and above. I have an iPhone 5s but don't use it every day so I'm not qualified to talk on the subject really! If they were doing as accused they would run into severe legal difficulties and their reputation would be trashed as well. But then to some extent maybe it already is :-(

Presumably if you put a new battery in it, this would not be an issue, presumably it is a smart aspect of the software and depends on the actual condition of the battery...

And what do they mean by performance throttling anyway? What do they slow down? CPU limit? How important is that, aren't they fast enough already?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:32 pm 

I don't see a problem either.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm 

It's a 'phone. I get messages and email notifications to my Watch. Sometimes check the weather forecast, control Sonos and listen to the rare podcast. Hardly intensive/demanding tasks.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am 

They don't need to be fast. They just have to work. Obviously we have different expectations.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am 

There are lots of people who use their iPhones for very intensive tasks. Apple should NOT reduce the clock speed on older iPhones with software updates.

Imagine if a car manufacturer updated software in cars and increased the MPG so you bought more fuel to try and get you to buy a newer, more economical car.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am 

I said I didn't have intensive needs. That's why I don't have a problem. Others do and they will. For example, I don't need much data as I don't use "social" sites and constantly look for updates or browse or photograph stuff for uploading. I believe "different strokes" applies.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:45 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:45 pm 

I feel we are into the realms of hyperbole. I'm being silent on this aspect of the topic now :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 pm 

Still not commenting, as per above, but:

Two class action lawsuits have been launched against Apple in the US following the tech giant's admission that it slows down older models of the iPhone as they age.

Apple has said that it did this to "prolong the life" of the devices and maximise diminishing battery power.

The lawsuits were filed in California and Chicago by groups of iPhone users representing others, who they claim have suffered "economic damage".

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS