[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - import mailboxes from Sierra to High Sierra
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:05 pm 

It's a long story, but I've finally been able to upgrade my 2013 Mac Pro to High Sierra. This involved swapping the 1 TB OWC Aura SSD for the original 512 GB Apple SSD, upgrading that to High Sierra to somehow put the High Sierra recovery on the Mac, swapping back the 1 TB SSD, erasing it & installing High Sierra from internet recovery.

To try to keep the new install as clean as possible & not bring in unnecessary stuff like long-unneeded preferences I'm installing everything I can from scratch. I manually copied all of my documents without problems. In the past, when I've done this kind of set up, I've been able to manually copy all of Apple Mail's folders from my home library to the new set up & all of the "on my Mac" folders have populated. But it's not working now. So I exported mailboxes from my Sierra clone & imported them but none of the sub-folders are included. I don't really want to have to re-boot into the Sierra clone, export each sub-folder & then import them. It's a lot of folders.

I'm about ready to try running Migration Assistant to bring in setting from Sierra.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 pm 

If all your email is stored on the server (i.e. an IMAP or Exchange account), then just set up as new accounts and the emails will be pulled down from the server again.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:10 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 pm 

You could move them to the server on the old system - if you still have access - then set up as new accounts on High Sierra. Once available on the new system, you could move them back to “On my Mac” - i.e. local

Edit: sorry, just re-read your last reply and see that probably won’t work.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 am 

There is an "Import mailboxes..." option under Mail>File.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:14 pm 

Forget about what you exported from Sierra. Try importing directly from the Sierra disc. In mail (High Sierra) go import, select Apple Mail, click continue and navigate (on Sierra disc) your user folder>library>mail and find the mailbox folders you want.

ps. I've never done it but just been going through the motions and can find all the sub-folders in "On My Mac".

iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:38 pm 

I gave up & erased the internal SSD & installed High Sierra from internet recovery. All of my mailboxes imported so that is good.

Even though I've been running High Sierra on my MacBook Air & 2012 Mac mini, I don't use them the same way I use my Mac Pro. One issue I'm having now on the Mac Pro is with Notifications. Most are finally showing up but the banner/alert is very simplified. With Mail notifications there is no choice to just close the alert as I had in Sierra.

EDIT: I'm not going through this whole exercise again just to see if your method of importing works.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm 

iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:44 pm 

iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm 

As long as you have "Show in Notification Centre" checked, which you have, then they will still be available to see there when you click on the Menu Bar icon even if the original notification has disappeared off screen.

You should also see a badge app icon in the Dock - it's a red circle - as long as you have the Dock showing.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:42 pm 

iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:52 am 

Occasionally the alerts will give me options, sometimes not. I'm living with it but not liking it.

I did just restart again, but this time to deal with an issue of losing focus on the current window/app. The restart seems to have fixed that for now.

I've been using High Sierra on my MacBook Air & 2012 Mac mini for several months without issues. But on this Mac Pro it has been close to disastrous. I haven't even finished installing all of the apps I want. I did not want to migrate apps since there are so many on the Sierra drive that I never use. I can always install them as needed.

Board index » Technical Help