[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - HomePod
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: HomePod
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:30 am 

Well I never. I *know* mine didn't used to but I have just tried and it does.

I wonder when that was implemented?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:30 am 

Oh and when I tried it, both iPhone and Watch responded! It's a good job Siri isn't voice activated on my iMac or all three would have answered.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 am 

Yes, my iPhone and Watch both react unless I hold the Watch to to my pie-hole if I want that, or have my arm down to get the iPhone. Which I why I wondered how the Homepod would fit in. I don't have Siri active on my iPad. That is a step too far.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 pm 

I did some checking on how to set the Homepod up. It seems 2FA has to be set up. I just did that on the MBPr and iDevices and it didn't completely bog things up like it did last time I tried.

Having done that, I tried to get the Watch to unlock the MBPr but no dice - "your mac was unable to communicate with your apple watch" regardless of the 'fixes' I tried from searching. No worry, I can live without that and as it is off topic, I'm leaving it there. It was 2FA I wanted to mention.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm 

Have you got 'Allow your Watch to unlock this Mac' checked in System Preferences ▸ Security & Privacy ▸ General?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:20 pm 

The error message I posted is the one that comes up in S&P when ticking that box fails (times out). As I said, not pursuing now.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 am 

Are they on the same wifi network? Is the Watch unlocked?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:32 am 

I have followed the instructions to the letter. It is one of those things that doesn't 'just work' for everyone. As I said, no big deal.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 am 

Uses both wifi and bluetooth from what I understand.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 pm 

Yes, wifi, Bluetooth, 2FA and magic. I've seen mention of Handoff. These things have a habit of not working properly for some people until an OS update drops, like my TM woes for one.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 pm 

Apple have charged my credit card so it should, in theory, be dispatched. Friday is looking realistic.

--edit-- Thurs 8th: Yep, just dispatched and due tomorrow.

I read that demand has been surprisingly high, despite it's limited capability and that those ordered recently will be a few days "late".

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:34 pm 

Received. Satisfyingly heavy. Set up is easy via iPhone. It sounds OK. As part of the set up, it starts playing a "personalised radio station" which for me was Pink Floyd - good choice. No time to play just at the moment but I'll try some stuff later.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:46 pm 

I have had a quick go. I've asked the time and weather as starters and have had it play some albums from Apple Music. It has good sound quality for the size. I'm considering whether to upload my many MP3s to get the stuff I have but Apple doesn't available to me. I just had iTunes Airplay to it so probably not necessary. I'll try a podcast from the iPhone later.

I don't know what else to try :D

My youngest, who still lives here :evil: doesn't like the idea it is listening to him, not that he spends much time in this room to be 'heard'. He can't say how it is different from my iPhone and Watch listening :lol:

--edit-- I just shook it by accident while playing from iTunes and it skipped to a random track. Conclusion: get a baseball bat as a remote.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:40 am 

Just got a Space grey Homepod from Currys. Set up was good and so i don’t need to do anything on my i phone another than the initial set up ?
Haven’t tried messages yet or using it as a speaker phone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Board index » General