[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - UK ~ GB and NI and the EU (part 2)
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

In - Out - or Still Undecided
Poll ended at Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:45 pm
Remain in the EU 73%  73%  [ 16 ]
Leave the EU 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm 

You don't stop learning when you leave school! Speaking English every day - we are always learning.

"Since I did English at school"

no fence mate! :D

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:16 pm 

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm 

It's alright.

The whole debate (in tHoP) is off topic.

edit:

(tHoP - ...hmm, I seem to have invented a new acronym for the Houses of Parliament, not found a confirmation of its use in my google search to check on it...)

Well, there y'go.

Innovation at it's best, eh?

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm 

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am 

The UK - the only place where people who emigrate to another country are called 'ex-pats'. People who move to other countries are immigrants, exactly the same as people who move to this country.

And this not meant as a slight or criticism on anyone.

Language is powerful. Why else would the Brexit newspapers call asylum seekers 'migrants' or say there were 'hordes' of people 'swarming' into the country?

The recent coverage of the people crossing the Channel in small boats was called a 'crisis'. No it wasn't, it was only about 22 people (if I recall correctly) trying to gain access into the country. There was more people found in the back of a lorry on the M6 two nights ago than that so why wasn't that called a 'crisis'?

This may be off on a tangent but immigration was a huge part of the Leave campaign and, in my opinion, influenced many people who I have spoked to, to vote leave. What they didn't realise was that the UK government already had the power to stop people from the EU staying here indefinitely without a job but they chose not to enforce it.

Google image search for 'daily mail migrant front pages' for more.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 pm 

Wow Gary, you sure have done your homework, I'm well impressed. You should see what they get in France . . . pretty much ziltch. no wonder they are heading for UK. We who have lived here nigh on 10 years have to go through a process to get a Carte de Sejour (residency card) which we have to prove we have lived here legally, continuously and we are in the Health and Tax system for five years or more and we have to prove we can support ourselves financially and not be a burden on the state (are you listening UK?). Reams of paper work to go through. Nightmare thanks to Brexit.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm 

...as I have repeatedly said, LEAVE won.

It doesn't matter what reason people voted for Leave, Mind Rays, Migrant Voodoo Zombies, Radio Wave Mind Washing etc, etc etc...

What I want to know in my Poll and Thread is, has anyone changed their mind.

Because despite the win for Leave, no one knows how to Leave.

Forget about migrants (legal or illegal) - It's the reality of where we are that this Thread is about.

Last edited by jezza on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm 

My work mate had to earn over 30k before they would let his wife in, she’s from the USA and is a nurse. Are we not shouting out for nurses !!!

I’d make imigrints work 5 years before they earned the right to the NHS and benefits. That means they would only be accepted if they came here to a job that could keep their family. Look at those over 50 insurance policies, they don’t pay out fully until after 12/24 month. Why can’t we do that with our NHS/DWP.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm 

You say “illegal immigrants” but then post about asylum seekers. They are two completely different things.

And yes it is difficult to any help when things go wrong. I had a hard time getting anything more than Job Seekers Allowance when I was made redundant in 2011 despite having paid income tax and national insurance for 30 years. I have great sympathy for your brother-in-law and hope that he can get the help he so desperately needs. Mental health is an area that is severely lacking in funding which, of course, causes even more problems for people. But, we as a country, shouldn’t turn our backs on legitimate asylum seekers such as people fleeing war zones.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm 

I’d just do a hard brexit. The EU ain’t gonna do us any favours as they don’t want us to succeed. Surely it’s better to leave with nothing than to leave owing them everything. I know it’s better to leave with something but that’s never going to happen.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 pm 

My brother in law died a few years ago. He was a diabetic and with his mental illness he didn’t really look after himself or get the proper help needed. He died when he went into a diabetic coma.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm 

Very sorry to read that but... this is not what the Thread is about - I am asking if anyone has reviewed their decision and changed their mind regarding Leaving the EU.

So if possible.....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index » Couch