[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - borked widget in 14.6
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: borked widget in 14.6
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm 

I upgraded to iPad OS 14.6 this morning. Most things are as they should be except...

The top default widget on the Home screen is the one which shows your most recently used apps in 2 rows of 4 ("Siri Suggestions", apparently). Since the upgrade, this shows the same 8 icons, most of which are either apps I've not used in a long while, or which - to my knowledge - I've NEVER used.

Launching my usual apps in order to replace these, doesn't work - it's the same mystifying group of apps. Nor does rebooting.

What's gone wrong, and how do I fix?

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 pm 

Try removing the widget.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:06 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:40 pm 

I spent half an hour yesterday on the phone with an Apple chappie - after much time spent trying out stuff via screen sharing and going off to consult colleagues, he finally concluded that the iPad reset suggestions after the upgrade and must now "learn" my usage habits over again.

I wouldn't mind, but having spent some time removing apps from the widget, and also using the "Don't suggest..." option, the 8 I have now haven't changed, and include Mail, Calendar, & Reminders, all of which I said "Don't suggest...".

No further forward I'm afraid.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:28 pm 

Is no-one else experiencing this?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 pm 

ANYONE?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:28 pm 

Sorry, no iDevices here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:11 pm 

Thanks for the response BD. I know many other members here do though - it would be useful to know whether or not I'm the only one who has this problem, and if so what I can do to fix it.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm 

I have an iPad but don't know what your "default" widget is or how I'd invoke it. I added two widgets at the side of the horizontal screen which have nothing to do with recently used apps. How would I see that to check what it is doing?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:09 pm 

MacBiter, I believe, is talking about the icons which show at the top of the Spotlight search screen rather than an actual widget which is added to the home screen or the screen you reach when swiping left to right on home screen 1.

When you pull down from the top of a homescreen to invoke it, the icons are supposed to change according to the time of day and what the OS thinks you may want to use at that particular time of the day. This is worked out based on previous app openings either through searching for them or the OS remembering what you open regularly and when you open it.

Mine seems to change but I can't say I have ever really taken notice of what the icons are on a regular basis.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:33 pm 

Ah thanks. Spotlight is nothing I have used or needed to so have not come across it except by accident when being clumsy. Mine just lists the last used apps - but not in any obvious order and some I've not used for months. A bit useless for me. I put all the apps I usually use on the menu bar and Home page.

Sorry MB - I can't really comment. My bad.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:13 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:26 pm 

Ahh. I did a search and found the page linked below. I know it won't help you but it explains the widget in question. I see it can be trained and you can remove suggestions. The illustrations are iPhone but the same stuff should apply to iPad.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 pm 

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS